Who are you? Tell us a little about yourself? Maybe something that would surprise us :)I am Alejandro Martinez (Alex) born and raised here in Houston Texas! Proud husband to my beautiful wife Marisa and father of two handsome boys Sebastian and Santiago. I am currently working in manufacturing as a Production Control Planner. I am very introverted which is something I have struggled with my whole life. Being at Behemoth has help me break out of my shell. I started working out back in 2008 at your average gym and started my CrossFit journey in 2018.
How long have you been a Behemoth member and how did you hear about us?In 2017 I was at work trying to get motivated to workout and came across CrossFit videos on YouTube. I was really interested in trying something different out, so I searched for Gyms near my area. I came across Behemoth and tried a couple of sessions out. Unfortunately, I was not able to sign up due to my schedule at work. Luckily my schedule changed in 2019 and was able to join Behemoth as part of the transformation challenge.
What are some of your proudest accomplishments since starting with us? (this can be physical, mental, emotional, don’t just think inside the gym, this can be anything you truly feel great about!)My biggest accomplishment so far is my weight loss. I have lost a total of 50lbs so far this year. I couldn’t have done this without the support of my wife. I can say I am in the best shape of my life. Now I have a lot more energy to keep up with my boys. The biggest impact has been to my mental health. It’s almost like I hit a reset button. I started to love myself again which is the most important thing!!
Talk a little bit about your journey, who were you or what were you struggling with before starting with Behemoth and who are you now since being a part of this gym culture and community?I was really struggling with my mental and physical health. I’ve always been on heavier side growing up. I would lose weight abut would just gain it all back. This time I plan to keep it off. I also had no confidence in myself. I just didn’t believe in me. Now I feel like everything is possible and nothing can hold me back!!
What is your favorite part about Behemoth and what keeps you coming back?My favorite part about it is the people and coaches. Everyone is very friendly. I love that the coaches are very passionate about what they do.
What is one piece of advice you’d give to someone just starting out with Behemoth or maybe hesitant in starting out?Don’t feel intimidated. Don’t be hard on yourself. Just put in the work. It’s a learning process and all the coaches are there to help.
1. My hidden talent is?I don’t think I have any hidden talents even though my family says I’m good at grilling Fajitas. I don’t think it’s a talent to be honest. I just do it with love. You can make anything great if you put a little love into it.
2. My favorite movement at BGYM is?Anything with a barbell.
3. #Breakfastcrew, #Brunchcrew, or #Cocktail crew?#Cocktail crew @7
4. I have yet to, but have always wanted to?Learn how to play the guitar.
5. When I’m not working on my fitness at BGYM, I like to?Spend time with my family. I enjoy being around my kids.
6. I would love to see Coach ________ do ___________?Of course Jonathon do anything so that I can no rep him and change his weights when he’s not looking.
7. Beast mode engaged when this song comes on during my workout?Beast mode is engaged when I arrive to the gym. JK. I really don’t have a music preference. I get more pumped when I see everyone around me going hard!!